Are you feeling torn trying to decide which would be better for your wedding reception – a DJ or a band?
You’ve attended weddings in the past and seen both bands and DJs in action, but you had mixed thoughts about them both and aren’t sure which you would prefer right now.
DJs and bands book up months in advance, so it is vital to make a decision as soon as possible so that you have the time to find and book exactly who you want.
It’s crucial to consider every possible outcome, as while in a perfect world you’d prefer both, that may not be possible given the constraints of your budget or the space at your event’s location.
These points may be enough to sway you in one direction or another.
It is critical it is a choice that the both of you make together as a couple. Although it is possible that one of you may have to make adjustments in order for the two of you to be comfortable with the decision, the both of you must definitely communicate on this matter.
When you look back on your wedding day and reception in the coming years, you don’t want to be full of regret because you and your future spouse didn’t talk about something important.. This is why you do not wish to make any impulsive choices regarding your wedding day and reception.
Think about the songs and music that mean the most to you.
How will you dance as a married couple for the first time? What kind of dance do you want to be the last one of the night? Would pre-recorded versions over live performances be better?
If that first dance is a big deal to you and the music will make or break it, keep that in mind as you start making decisions.
Considerations when choosing between a DJ and a band
- How big is your venue, exactly? Is there enough room for an entire band, or is it more suited to a DJ setup?
- What style of music do you want? Can a single band cover all the songs you might want? If you have an eclectic taste and want a good variety of music would a DJ suit better?
- What is your budget? Can you find a DJ or a band that you really like that fits within that budget? Do you have the budget to have both?
- What is your first dance song choice? Do you have strong feelings on if it should be sung/played live or are you happy with a recorded version that a DJ can play?
- Are you looking for something a little quirky? Something that provides you and your guests with more than just music. Both a band and a DJ can do this by letting their personalities shine through, so it’s important you get to hear and see them play so you can see their overall style.
Why is your choice important?
Music can make or break the atmosphere at your wedding reception. That might seem like a big statement but it’s an undeniable fact.
A skilled DJ or band can pump up your guests and entertain them all day and night.
On the flip side of that some bad ones could ruin the mood, leaving everyone feeling flat and bored.
That means arranging to hear them perform live, understanding their full repertoire and knowing exactly what they can and cannot do.
A good band or DJ that changes pace or style at the wrong time can dull the vibe.
The music you play during your wedding may affect how fondly you, your family, and your friends will remember it.